Transforming your garage into a man cave is a big decision. It will take up your time, energy, and money!
Don’t begin the transformation without gathering all of the information necessary to create the man cave you have been yearning for.
Now, what information is more necessary than garage man cave ideas?
For this transformation, there is no piece of information that is more important than the collection of your favorite man cave garage ideas.
Lucky for you, we’ve got you covered with this list of the top ideas for transforming your garage into the man cave you’ve been dreaming about!
We will also provide garage man cave ideas on a budget. Create the man cave you want, without spending more money than you have to!
1. Cleaning Up Your Transformation Space
The first step in any room transformation or home renovation project is to clean the space. You absolutely cannot create an awesome space if you begin with the space a dirty mess.
Clear everything out of the garage man cave. If that’s not possible, organize everything in a convenient manner.
You will need to remove all of the clutter. This includes tools, bikes, outside toys, yard machinery, basically everything that can be taken away, should be removed from the garage.
When you finish clearing up the space, you will want to do a deep clean. You need to sweep, mop, wipe down walls, clear out the overhead storage, do whatever you can to ensure the space is clean and ready to transform.
2. Install A Floor
Your garage likely has a cement floor, or cement slabs pieced together for a floor. Which is great because cement slabs are incredibly easy to transform. Just follow these simple steps.
- First Place the Insulation– This is necessary to assist with controlling the temperature of the room. It’s also helpful with hiding excessive noise.
- After Lay the Wooden Floorboards– The floorboards are necessary for carpeted floors along with wooden flooring. This is the final step if your goal is to have wooden floors.
- Finally Staple the Carpet– The last step for carpeted floors is to use a staple gun to attach the carpet of your choosing.
3. Flooring on A Budget
We suggest placing large carpeted mats throughout your space. This can be done for a small sum of money.
Placing carpet has many benefits. It will make your space appear more comfortable. Add some insulation and will allow you and your friends to stand about without getting sore.
4. Putting Up Walls
You likely want to put up decorations in your man cave. This will be difficult if the walls of your garage are stone or brick.
You may want to put up drywall over top of the pre-existing walls. This will allow you to hang all of your memorabilia and decorations.
Perhaps you’re one of the lucky few who already have drywall in their man cave garage. If this is the case, you’re all set for this idea!
Assuming you are not one of the lucky few, you will need to do the following things.
- Put the Installation in Place– Yet again, this is key to maintaining comfortable temperatures in your man cave.
- Keep Track of Wall Studs– You will need to know where the wall studs are when you hang things on the wall. It would be shame to hang your flat screen, then watch it fall to the ground because it was screwed into installation.
- Hang the Drywall- You can easily attach the drywall to the wall studs.
5. Walls on A Budget
You can easily use a drill and screws to hang items on the stone walls of your garage. Though it will require a lot more effort.
Depending on the type of stone the walls are made out of there may be other options available for you.
Another popular option worth looking into is the use of Command products on stone and brick.
Depending on the type of walls your garage currently has you may be able to install shelves or built ins.
If those two options are not a possibility for you, hang posters and other memorabilia.
6. Creating A Drop Ceiling
The addition of a drywall ceiling is mostly for appearances. With the addition of installation, a ceiling can assist with temperature control.
There are a few things you will need to do when adding a ceiling.
- Location of Beams- There are usually beams or rafters inside of a garage, close to the ceiling. These will provide a place for the drywall and lighting to be attached.
- Consider Lighting- Ensure that any modification you make will allow for the placement of lighting.
7. Ceilings on A Budget
If you need to save a little bit of money, don’t place drywall over the rafters. They will look man-cavey all on their own. The lack of a defined ceiling could give the space an edge.
Consider hanging lights, or banners, to the rafters. The hanging decor will add character, if you’re concerned about appearances.
8. Increasing Lighting
You will need to increase the lighting available in your potential man cave. After all, you can only play cards, if you can see your hand of cards.
Increase the amount of light in your man cave with the following light fixtures.
- Add Ceiling Fixtures– Attach light fixtures to the ceiling of the man cave. If you are particularly handy, you could wire the fixture to a switch on the wall. If not, a simple pull switch will suffice.
- Wall Fixtures– There are plenty of light fixtures that are meant to be attached to walls. This will do if you opted out of adding a ceiling to your main cave.
- Standing Fixtures– Maybe you didn’t place a ceiling or walls, that’s fine. There are plenty of awesome table lamps and standing lamps that will brighten your space!
9. Painting Your Space
It’s time to personalize your man cave. This is your chance to really set your garage man cave idea into place.
You will want to select a paint color that will compliment your theme and blend with your decorations.
Choosing a couple of colors may be beneficial because you will need to paint the walls and the ceiling.
10. Install A Bar and/ or Hook Up A Fridge?
This is an important decision. You are creating a man cave, you will one hundred percent need a fridge. The question is, do you go for the bar? Yeah a bar is cool, but can you afford it?
If money isn’t an issue, go for it. If you are like most everyone else, you have limited funds. So, consider the necessity of a bar. Do you really need it?
Steps for A Bar
- Place Cabinetry- You will need a base for the counter top. Cabinetry is your best choice to allow for optimal storage space.
- Set A Countertop- Atop the cabinetry you will need to place a countertop. Don’t choose anything too fancy. Go for something simple.
- Purchase Accessories- If you have a bar, you will need bar stools. You will also need all kinds of other things that come with bars.
- Place the Fridge- Find a place for the refrigerator. Plug it in and clean it out.
- Fill It Up- Fill the fridge with you and your friend’s favorite beer and foods.
- Paint It- Yes, that’s right. Paint your fridge. You could turn it into a gun box, trophy case, chalkboard, or something else. Be creative with it.
11. Select Your Decorations and Their Theme
This decision will affect the atmosphere of your bar. How are you going to decorate your man space? There are so many ideas. Here are our favorite themes to follow.
- Football Team
- Other Sports Team
- Bar or Speakeasy
- Hunting and Fishing
Once you decide on a theme purchase decoration that fit the themes. Hang the decorations on your walls or place them on tables. Be creative!
12. Football, Motorsports and Other Sports’ Team Decorations
There are a lot of men who love football. It comes as no surprise that a lot of man caves are centered around football teams. So, what kind of decorations can be used in football man caves?
- Jerseys- They can be framed or made into decorative pillows. Then place the pillows throughout your space on furniture.
- Memorabilia- This could be any autographed items, posters, or trading cards. Pretty much any item that is sold and relates to football. Most of these items can be put on shelves or on the wall.
- Footballs- Football rugs, posters, or the ball itself, can all be used as decorations around the man cave. Use a stand to display special game balls in cabinets.
Fast cars and wild driving attract guys to motorsports. This makes it a great theme for a garage man cave. These decorations can help you enhance the theme.
- Model Cars- Place along countertops or on shelving for easy viewing.
- Racing Flags- Can be placed on the walls or let them hang down from the ceiling.
- Driver Stats Cards- Place in binders. Make the binders easily available to be looked through.
Sports, in general, generate strong feelings of camaraderie among men. Creating a space for your friends is easy when you use sports for inspiration. Use these decoration ideas in your man cave.
- Sports Equipment- Hang on the walls or get creative with its’ usage.
- Team Gear- Frame it and hang it from the wall or place it within the cabinets.
- Trophies- Place in a trophy case or on shelving for full view,
13. Autopart Decorations
This is a really easy theme to find decorations for. Google it a hundred of photos pop up. Basically, any car-related item can be used as decor, but here are some examples.
- Old Car Parts- Display behind glass cabinet doors or place on shelves.
- Photos and Posters- Tape or use a push pin to place them on the walls.
- Model Cars- Place on countertops or on shelving.
14. Poker Decorations
What else would you use a man cave for, other than poker? Here are some great decorations to use in your poker man cave.
- Poker Table- Place the table in an open area of the room. Be careful not to place it along the wall or against other furniture.
- Playing Card Coasters- Use these on the counters or table to prevent markings from cans, bottles, or glasses.
- Decor Related to the Different Suits
15. Speakeasy Decorations
This is the theme that allows you to make your garage man cave look like an awesome bar. Decorations will be centered around the following.
- Neon/ Marquee Lights- Use in fixtures throughout your man cave.
- Recycled Alcohol Containers- Can be used as soap bottles or sometimes for storage.
- Old Bar Signs- Hang them on the walls near your bar or on your refrigerator.
16. Superhero Decorations
Nothing gets a group of guys talking faster than a debate over superhero universes. Which universe is better, Marvel or DC? Which superheroes could take on who?
Some great themed decor ideas would be:
- Action Figures- Place in cabinetry or on shelves.
- Cardboard Cutouts- Stand the cutout up in your man cave.
- Movie Posters- Use push pins to place them on the wall.
17. Hunting and Fishing Decorations
What’s better than a quiet, relaxing, day trip to ease the tensions and stressors from society? Men love a relaxing day of hunting or fishing, to get away from the world for a little while.
By using this theme in your man cave you can recreate the experience. Utilize these decoration ideas to capture this theme.
- Hunting Themed Man Cave
- Gun Racks or Shell Cases- Can be easily place on the tops of cabinets.
- Game Mountings- Mount them on the wall.
- Camouflage- Can be used for any textiles within your man cave.
- Fishing Themed Man Cave
- Fishing Poles- Placed in cases on the tops of cabinets.
- Netting, Fishing Line, and Bobbers- Hung on the wall or against the side of the bar.
- Trophy Pictures of Captured Fish- Should be framed and hung on the walls.
18. Decorations on A Budget
DIY is always an affordable way to decorate a space. This includes man caves. Here are a few DIY decorations that will make your garage man cave stand out from the rest!
- Jack Daniel’s Soap Bottle
This sink decoration is so easy to make, follow these easy steps below to get this awesome soap dispenser.
- Drink a bottle of Jack
- Clean the bottle with warm soapy water.
- Pour a bottle of soap into the Jack Daniel’s bottle
- Screw the pump onto the Jack Daniel’s bottle.
- Wrench Coat Hooks
These coat hooks are kind of dangerous to make so be careful when working on them. Take plenty of precaution and keep children out of the area.
- Place the wrench in a fire pit until the fire dies.
- Use two sets of tongs and extreme care to grab the wrench out of the hot coals.
- Use the two sets of tongs, one on each end of the wrench to bend the wrench at the center.
- Place on a cement surface to cool.
- Repeat for each individual wrench.
- Beer Coasters
These coasters are awesome and perfect for any man cave with a bar. Follow the quick and easy instructions below to achieve this DIY decoration.
- Gather old beer boxes and purchase a few ceramic tiles.
- Cut out pieces of the boxes so that the cardboard is the same size of the tile.
- Use Mod Podge to stick the cardboard to the tile/
- Turn tile so that cardboard side is down. Then allow to dry.
19. A Signature Classic
If you really want your man cave to stand out, invest in one signature piece or decoration. This should be an item that is eye-catching, and enviable. Some great examples of signature or classic items are as follows.
- Classic or Signature Model Cars- Should be placed in cabinets or on shelves for safe keeping.
- Rare Trading Cards or Autographed Items- Can be framed or place in binders for easy accessibility.
- Exclusive Editions- Placed carefully in shelves or on top of furniture.
20. Beer Advertisements
Are you planning on putting a bar in your garage man cave? If your answer is yes, then the following garage man cave idea is for you.
Decorate your space with beer advertisements. There are so many to choose from. Wondering where you can find these items? Ask local bars and drive-thru for their outdated advertisements.
Collect a few of the following.
- Banners- Can come down from the ceiling and dangle across the room.
- Flag Pennants- Attach to the doors, or even to the door of the fridge.
- Posters- Should be pinned to a wall.
- Signs- Can be used throughout your man cave for decoration.
21. Choose Activities
What will you and your friends be doing in the man cave. Make sure you have all of the potentially requested items available.
The following are common items found in man caves that provide activity.
- Dartboard and Darts
- Pool Table
- Game Systems
- Media Players
- Other Games
22. Arcade Gaming
You and your friends can duke it out and attempt to hold the highest score, any arcade game would be a nice addition to your space, but there are a few that would really make your place shine.
- Donkey Kong
- Street Fighter
23. Gaming Tables
Another awesome addition to your man cave would be a gaming table, Men love to compete, so it makes sense that there would be a lot of competitive gaming going on in a man cave.
Foster this competitive spirit with the following gaming tables.
- Ping Pong
- Air Hockey
- Basketball Arcade
24. Consider Comfort
Remember that you are transforming your garage into a man cave so that you will have a place for you and your friends to hang out.
The best way to do that is to make sure your man cave is comfortable.
Consider the following:
- Temperature- The best way to control temperature is by installing insulation. You will also need to consider a space heater or air conditioner.
- Humidity- Insulation will help with this too. Your garage is built differently than the rest of your house, so the temperature and humidity will change with the weather if you don’t prepare with the necessary items.
- Space- You will want to have enough space for all of your friends. Don’t fill the entire man cave with unnecessary items.
- Seating- Plenty of seating is necessary. You won’t be able to host the next Superbowl party, if there is nowhere for people to sit.
25. Store Garage Items[content-egg module=Amazon template=list]
What did you do with everything you took out of the garage? We suggest you get a shed for storage.
Tools, bikes, and all of the other items you took out of the garage are waiting to be placed in a storage space. Another option would be to create shelves on the beams in the ceiling for storage.
You could store smaller items in cabinetry within your garage man cave, If you want to get really organized you could create a room or closet within you man cave for storage.
There are so many different directions you could go with decorating and there’s plenty of man cave furniture available for purchase.
A man cave can be a place for you to relax or a place where your friends and you can get together.
Just make the atmosphere fun and inviting. That’s how you create an awesome man cave that your friends and family will flock to.